A 9 Step Guide to Renewing Your Maryland CNA
Posted by Dr. Charlene Brown on February 2, 2019
1) Have you been wondering how to renew your Maryland CNA?
- It's all online now and you'll need to use the Maryland Nursing Assistant Certification Online Renewal System.
- The good news is that you DO NOT need approval from your supervising RN!
2) How much does it cost to renew my CNA license?
- It will cost you $40 and you or your sponsoring agency will be asked to pay online.
3) Do I need to get a background check?
- YES, the Maryland Board of Nursing calls this background check Criminal History Records Check or CHRC.
- If your CNA expired on 12/28/2017, 1/28/2018, or 2/28/2018, then you will need a background check to renew, even if you already did this in the past!
- You CANNOT renew without a new criminal history background check.
4) Can I just get a background check anywhere?
- No. There are specifically approved vendors.
- Please review how to meet the new background check requirements.
- Also, visit the Board of Nursing's list of Frequently Asked Questions on this topic.
- You will need to submit CHRC receipts, either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail to the RENEWAL DEPARTMENT at 4140 Patterson Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215.
5) How do I get started?
- Go to the Maryland CNA Lookup
- Log in by entering your name, CNA certification number, and Social Security Number.
- Once you have logged in, follow the instructions on the screen.
6) What if I have forgotten my CNA license number?
That's okay, you can find it online. Just look it up by visiting the Maryland CNA Lookup and following the steps below:
- Click Profession and a drop-down list will appear. Select “Nursing Assistant”.
- Click License Type and a very long drop down list will appear.
- Scroll down and select the CNA or GNA or other license types that apply to you.
- Enter your Last Name
- Enter your First Name
- Click the “Search” button on the right-hand side near the bottom of the box.
7) Do I have a grace period for my CNA renewal? What if I miss the deadline?
- YES, you have a 30-day renewal grace period. This means you can renew up to 29 days after your license expiration date.
8) May I email the Maryland Board of Nursing directly with CNA renewal questions?
- YES, you can EMAIL the Maryland Board of Nursing directly at email@example.com
9) How can my employer pay for my renewal?
- To get started, you will need to register and start the process following the instructions above.
- Your employer will have to log in to the website, but only AFTER you have registered online and started the process.
- Make sure that the person paying for it knows when you have completed your registration so that they can log in.
- You can learn more by visiting this page from the Maryland Board of Nursing.
Back to Blog