This job posting is no longer active. Click here to see other jobs.
Licensed Practical Nurse
Baltimore, MD 21240
University of Maryland Medical System
Discuss pay at interview
What You Will Do:
University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) has achieved Magnet status in recognition of the hospital nursing excellence. UMMC is a teaching hospital with 757 beds based in Baltimore, Maryland, that provides the full range of health care. It has more than 35,000 inpatient admissions and 165,000 outpatient visits each year. The R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center (also known as Shock Trauma) is the world's first center dedicated to saving lives of people with severe, life-threatening injuries sustained in motor vehicle collisions, violent crimes and other traumatic incidents.Our vision is to provide high value and compassionate care, improving health in Maryland and beyond, educating future health care leaders and discovering innovative ways to advance medicine worldwide.
Be Part of Something Greater!
Under the direct supervision of a professional nurse, provide direct patient care for an assigned group of patients and follow through on the directions of the physician and professional nurse in caring for the rehabilitation patient. This care is provided in accordance with state and departmental policies for practical nursing in Maryland.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Provides direct nursing care to patients whose conditions require non-complex nursing measures, such as, monitoring vital signs, obtaining specimens for laboratory examinations and carrying out physician's orders for medications and routine treatments, in accordance with state of Maryland practical nursing practice.
- Observes, records and reports the general physical and mental conditions of patients, to the physician or professional nurse in charge in accordance with department documentation and reporting procedures/standards.
- Utilizes interview and observation skills to identify symptoms and behavioral changes that indicate common health problems or basic physical, emotional, and social needs of a patient or family.
- Documents data collected and reports changes in the patient's condition that may indicate an emerging health problem.
- Observes, records, and reports specific signs and symptoms which may be indicative of change in accordance with departmental documentation and reporting procedures/standards.
- Assists in nursing diagnosis by documenting and communicating to the RN patient responses to illness or nursing intervention.
- Identifies the physical needs of the patient and performs the necessary intervention measures in solving a semi-complex nursing situation in accordance with department protocols.
- Assists in the formulation of the care plan by communicating pertinent patient data and/or suggesting nursing interventions to the RN/Primary Nurse.
- Contributes to the evaluation of the nursing care plan through documentation and communication of patient responses to illness and nursing interventions.
- Prepares patient progress reports and daily reports in accordance with departmental reporting standards as required.Demonstrates the ability to implement a plan of care (in accordance with performance standards) in a knowledgeable, skillful, and consistent manner.
- Documents in an appropriate, accurate, and timely manner in the patient record.
- Assists in providing continuity of care for a Primary Nurses' patients.Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to uphold the institution's standard operating procedure for patients' rights.
- Modifies or structures the environment to promote patient safety, adequate rest and recreation, as needed.
- Assists the interdisciplinary team in formulating, implementing, and evaluating the rehabilitation plan of care.
- Assists in developing, reviewing, and monitoring nursing quality assurance standards, as requested.
- Provides input into unit problem-solving and decision-making by participating in unit staff meetings. Assists with unit shift management responsibilities, as assigned. Demonstrates appropriate delegation of tasks and duties to unlicensed personnel.
- Participates in nursing/hospital research activities, as requested.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs. Provides the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures.
- Attends and participates in in-service training and educational programs for ongoing growth and development. Identifies self-learning needs and assumes responsibility for continuing education.Performs related duties as required.
- Contributes to the education of new nursing personnel, as assigned.
- Graduation from a Practical Nursing Education Program approved by the State of Maryland is required.
- Current licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse by the Maryland State Board of Examiners of Nurses is required.
- Proficient knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Ability to demonstrate positive guest relations skills.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs. Provides the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures.
- Highly effective communication skills are necessary in explaining procedures to patients, preparing written reports for patient medical charts, and providing preliminary results to health care providers.
$140.00 or more per day · Posted 1 weeks ago
$21.00 - $24.00 per hour · Posted 1 weeks ago