This job posting is no longer active. Click here to see other jobs.
Medical Assistant - Spine Center
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
MedStar Ambulatory Services
Discuss pay at interview
- MedStar Ambulatory Services is committed to providing world-class, compassionate care to every patient,every time, at every touch point. All associates are accountable for their role in meeting patient experiencestandards.
- Performs clinical and administrative duties in an Ambulatory setting consistent with policies and procedures.Works under the supervision of a physician and performs data collection, venipuncture, laboratory testing,patient follow up, and assisting providers with patient exams. This position documents, as appropriate, in themedical records and supports optimal patient flow. Ability to work with 4 or more Specialty areas as needed.Must have knowledge base of multispecialty areas and a high degree of flexibility and willingness to learn.
- High school graduation or equivalent; completion of an approved Medical Assistant program
- 1 year experience working in an ambulatory care medical office, preferably in a paperlessenvironment; minimum of externship in a medical or ambulatory health setting. 2 years back office medicalexperience strongly preferred.
- CMA (Certified Medical Assistant) by the American Association of Medical Assistantsor RMA (Registered Medical Assistant) through the American Medical Technologists or equivalent within 6months from hire date; CPR Certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to type 40 words per minute; basic computer skills; excellent verbal /written communicationand customer service skills. Clinical competency as verified during the initial 90 day orientation period andannually thereafter. Computer and Electronic Medical Record skills and ability to function in a variable clinicalsetting.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Calls in refill prescription medications for patients after physician approval and documentation; completes requisitions for tests (only if certified).
- Cleans, stocks and sterilizes equipment and cleans and prepares patient rooms for care delivery.
- Comprehends equipment and procedures for all specialists working within the facility.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Maintains equipment/environment (ie carts, cabinets, utility rooms, fridge); assists with medical supply requisition; discards outdated drugs and supplies from samples cabinet and equipment.
- Maintains log system and performs required patient follow up for pap smears, Pb levels, HIV, mammograms, and STD's.
- Manages patient flow with consistent and frequent communication with patients/families as well genuine regards for their time and comfort.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings including: regular staff meetings, All staff meetings, training classes for safety, infection control, OSHA, EMR, CPR, TJC, safety, compliance and others as required; Serves on committees and represents the department and facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs other testing and care consistent with the scope of the practice including, but not limited to, spirometry/PFTs, patient vitals and BMI, EKGs, vision and hearing testing, splinting, tuberculosis skin testing, pulmonary function testing, pregnancy testing, urinalysis, microbiology (Streptococcal testing and cultures) and general patient care under the supervision of the physician. Removes sutures /staples with provider written order after exam.
- Performs patient follow up calls and profession communication or lab tests and clinical results in accordance with policy.
- Performs venipuncture, finger sticks on adults and children, heel sticks on infants if applicable, and selected patient and laboratory testing.
- Promotes an atmosphere of respect towards patients, families, vendors, employers and co-workers. Acts and communicates professionally at all times. Provides care consistent with MedStar's mission, vision and values and in a manner that engenders patient confidence and loyalty by exceeding expectations. Acts as a mentor for the clinical staff; leads by example and fosters staff development.
- Serves as a patient advocate throughout the care process and assist in patient discharge, assuring clarity for the patient or family member(s) in conjunction with the Referral Coordinator.
- Supports other members of the clinic team during downtime and when patient bottlenecks occur assuring optimal patient flow; manages variable and unpredictable patient volume throughout the work day. Provides telephone triage services as needed. Supports the physician in patient examination, testing and education.
- Supports the physician in patient examination, testing and education.
- Under physician supervision, prepares and administers oral medications and injections limited to intradermal, subcutaneous, and intramuscular (deltoid, gluteal and vastus lateralis according to policy).
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Posted 1 weeks ago
$13.00 - $13.00 per hour